While arguing with one of those who think it's a bad idea, someone said there had to be a "groundswell of support" like there was for the impeachment of Nixon and cited this article:
More than 50,000 telegrams poured in on Capitol Hill today, so many, Western Union was swamped. Most of them demanded impeaching Mr. Nixon.
John Chancellor, NBC News on a Special Report on October 20, 1973
We already have more support than that. When John Conyers took Bush his petition demanding he answer questions about the DSM, it had 540,000 singnatures, over ten times as many as wrote about Nixon. I would bet most of those people would write to demand impeachment of Bush, probably more.
The great thing is, now we have someone to focus this demand on who can and possibly will act (in spite of her protests to the contrary): Nancy Pelosi.
She should have a half million signatures waiting for her her first day as Speaker of the House.
I think she and the many of the Democrats want to do this, but to overcome the reluctance of the DC etablishment and big money interests who are afraid their ox will be gored along with Bush & Cheney, she needs constant overwhelming evidence of public DEMAND not just support for impeachment.
Fax or snail mail the letter below or your own variation to:
2371 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
450 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94102
emails are nice, but letters and faxes make a physical pile that form a powerful visual, and that should be Pelosi opening her door and being buried by letters.
CC a copy to your congressman too. You can find their address here: http://www.house.gov /
Post this around to other boards and send it to you friends, and let's see if we can get something going.
The American people elected a Democratic majority to restore checks and balances, the rule of law, and our reputation as a law-abiding country in the world community. These cannot be accomplished unless President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney are impeached. Their impeachable offenses dwarf those that led to proceedings against President Clinton and President Andrew Jonson, and the threatened proceeding against President Richard Nixon combined. The offenses below are already supported with evidence in the public record, including admissions of guilt. It is likely that investigations prior to impeachment would turn up even more.
IMPEACH BUSH & CHENEY FOR:
- Lying to the American people, Congress, and the world about the threat from Iraq & need for war.
- War of aggression against Iraq, which posed no threat to US.
- Death of over 600,000 Iraqis and nearly 3,000 S troops in unnecessary war.
- Exploiting 9/11 for political gain and for war to benefit oil companies and other cronies.
- Canceling Iraq’s oil contracts with foreign companies and giving them to American corporations and restructuring Iraq’s oil industry to their specification in violation of the Hague and Geneva Conventions.
- Awarding no-bid contracts to cronies for rebuilding and oil exploitation in Iraq.
- Inciting animosity toward the US by attacking Iraq and falsely claiming it was part of “War on Terror.”
- Authorizing the use of torture in violation of the Geneva Convention and US law and against the advice of the uniformed military.
- Participating in the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Haiti and attempting to do so in Venezuela.
- Failure to fully cooperate with 9/11 Commission and joint congressional inquiry, and refusal to comply with Freedom of Information Act in other areas as well.
- Warrantless wiretapping of American citizens.
- Issuing signing statements that contradict the plain meaning of legislation, including on issues of torture.
- Denying Americans and others habeas corpus rights even after Supreme Court ruled against it.
- Coercing government employees to lie to Congress and the American people about the cost of Medicare drug benefit, global warning, and toxic hazard of NYC after 9/11.
- Failure to provide timely aid to Hurricane Katrina victims and appointing someone with no experience to run FEMA.
- Barring Americans who disagree with the president from public events paid for with taxpayer money, and forcibly removing some with private security posing as Secret Service agents.
Listen to the American people so we can be confident we have a democracy again.
Most of my list is paraphrased from the one found at ImpeachBush.
impeach impeachment president george w bush dick cheney
iraq war wmd terrorism oil cindy sheehan osama bin laden real reasons habeas corpushurricane katrina 9/11 september 11 9/11 commission venezuela haiti corruption occupation halliburton coup nancy pelosi john conyers professor smartass iraq petitionletter propaganda corporation fascism democracy political opinion war on terror muslim public opinion opinion public relations foreign policy al qaeda false flag cointelpro northwoods terrorist worst president ever failure war criminal idiot retard closet gay political action karl rove puppet abu ghraib torture torture memo nazi smartass comments resistance censored news rebel