Monday, May 22, 2006

Tolstoy on the good works of the rich

I have often thought that if the rich (or anyone) did their business ethically, looked after the welfare of their employees, bought from vendors who did the same and didn't pollute the environment, it would have a greater positive impact on society than all their public acts of charity. Tolstoy takes that idea a bit further.



I sit on a man's back, choking him, and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by any means possible, except getting off his back.

Leo Tolstoy,
Writings on Civil Disobedience and Nonviolence





1 comment:

ancient clown said...

Just passing by, but liked what I saw, so thought I'd share my report on the War on the Poor with you as it somewhat relates...especailly the quote.
your humble servant,
Ancient Clown